Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Alexandra of France

Above: You definitely won't believe me... but this girl's dangerous.

All of my best friends are privileged, worldly members of the venerable jet-set few.

Alexandra is arguably my heart's favorite of them all. She's a dedicated collegiate scholar, ever-chasing academia. We met at Hunter College in New York City in the Spring of 2007, we were classmates in both our private & lecture hall media courses. Prior to her studying in Hunter College, she went to college in Rome immediately after graduating from her high school in France. Right now at this very moment as earth's northern hemisphere spins on its axis promising the arrival of spring & all its beauty... Alexandra is studying at the esteemed, world-renowned London-based auction house known as-- Christie's, pursuing her Master's Degree.

Alexandra & I are college sweethearts. I was always up to no good & she was always romping about doing her worst, feverishly engaged in lawless activities. What can I say? We’re both young outlaws-at-heart. We were rivals in the fine art of bad assery & expert professionals involved, familiar, acquainted & submerged in all things cool: art, music, fashion & even the seedy, darker, private underworlds of it all. If I had to actually sit down & write a book on Alex, the title would be: 'Alexandra's Essential Handbook Guide to Free-Spiritdom'.

You know when you have two favorite characters but they’re like, from completely different universes & you wish they would totally meet—hang out & be friends ‘n stuff? Like… Catwoman from DC Comics & Marvel’s Spider-Man. Well that’s what Alex & I were like. Only cooler. On our month long winter breaks & 3 month long summer vacations, hell, even our measly 3-day weekends, she would seize them for all their potential & never hesitated in traveling half-way around the world to Europe, South America, Asia & California. It was absurd! All of her crazy adventures entertained me with enough daydreams for months on end!

Above: Alexandra; Sky-Princess of France's lone, elite faction of ace cloudship pilots, 'The High-Valkyries'.

AVANT - Will you still be in London this Summer?
Alex - Yep. I'll be writing my thesis.

AVANT - How many pages?
Alex - Not too many, around fifty pages.

AVANT - What's your address in London? In case I feel like surprising you.
Alex - _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Road _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _. I live with 6 other people, there should definitely be someone home.

AVANT - Is your new neighborhood anything like Bushwick?
Alex - Hahaha, nooooooooooo! Thank god. It’s more residential. Much nicer.

AVANT - Front lawns & stuff?
Alex - More suburban, absolutely.. I have a beautiful garden!

AVANT - What did you graduate from Hunter with?
Alex - BA in Art History.

AVANT - Any minor?
Alex - Nope.

AVANT - What are you getting your Masters in now?
Alex - Business of Contemporary and Modern Art.

AVANT - What's your goal? Is it your dream to become a world-renowned Gallery Curator?
Alex - That is accurate, although I think I might want to work in different industries, like the auction for a little while, maybe become an art dealer, or an artists agent... There's plenty to do. I want it all! ALL I TELL YOU!!!!

Alex - So what's the deal with your blogspot?
AVANT - It's my writing portfolio. To get an internship with Vogue &/or GQ. I have connections. I might as well use them.
Alex - Cooooool mos def!!!! My best friend here works for Vogue.

AVANT - What does she do?
Alex - She sells advertising space for the moment.

AVANT - I love how between us, we always know people in high places.
Alex - You know how we do.

AVANT - What school are you attending now for your Masters?
Alex - Christies education. You know Christie's the auction house?

AVANT - Yeah. Of course!!
Alex - It’s tha shit.

AVANT - http://www.christies.com/ --That's it, right?

AVANT - Is Christie's the auction house that deals with Damien Hirst?
Alex - Sure thang.

AVANT - Wow!! Have you met him!?
Alex - No, but we do get to meet a bunch of famous artists, they're über contemporary, like Anne Hardy, Cullinan and Richards, Melanie Manchot. They might be known in London only for now.

AVANT - ...For now. (!!!) Cue the suspenseful music saturated in dramatic intrigue!
Alex - Haha! We study a lot of installation art, video & photography.

AVANT - You're one person I never have to worry about in this world. You'll always stay on top.
Alex - You would love it, I can’t wait till you get here.

AVANT - In your profile pictures for Christmas 2009, you had a sand snowman. Was that during your vacation in Portugal?
Alex - No, it’s in Qatar. …Yeah, the locals there were like "What the fucccckkkkk."

Below: Alex's original artwork featured sand sculpture nestled along the Qatarian coast.


AVANT - At the beach? What body of water is that.
Alex - It’s a lagoon, on the Persian Gulf.

AVANT - PERFECT. THE END. This marks the end of our impromptu interview.
Alex - Hahahahahahahahahahhahahaa!!

AVANT - I will be borrowing pictures from your Facebook Defaults.
Alex - I’m ecstatic! Help yourself, mein liebling!

AVANT - I already have the title: Alex Deyzac's Illustrious & Essential Handbook Guide to Free-Spiritdom
Alex - I’M LAUGHING OUT LOUD RIGHT NOW!! It’s tooo perfect for words!

AVANT
Alex - YOU ARE THE BEST CEASAR.
AVANT - YOU ARE.

AVANT - I love you. Take care, mon cheri.
Alex - KEEEP IN TOUCH MON PRINCE ADORÉ.
Love you to the moon and back.
xox

Above & Below: Pirate-Captain Alexandra the Seafarer! Setting sail for winter-born ocean adventures!

To this day, Alexandra + I are still friends & always will be. After all, she is one of the few girls in this whole world that I know can comfortably keep up with my wild dreams & vice versa. We are star-crossed, as destiny has it written, in its stead shall our fates follow with interwoven paths of kismet.

I will visit her this Summer in London... even if it kills me!


__________________________________________________________

*BONUS FEATURE*

Alexandra was so impressed with my writing that she felt it necessary to send me her personally scribed autobiography via electronic mail.  I had always known only the briefest of glimpses into her past that I had to roughly piece together from our scattered conversations spurred from our chance encounters over time-- but I really had no idea of the complete extent, depth & magnitude.  She really has traveled to more places than most people would ever hope to experience in a single lifetime!

Without any further delay, enjoy her transcendental history  in all of its honest, truthful, unabridged, unedited & uncensored glory!

Ceasar!!!!!!! yess!!!!!!!!!

Your blog is terrific! i'm so proud of you!!!! You' re a brilliant writer!!

I’m gonna go ahead and upchuck my life to you in a chronological manner. It’s fun for me to do this and probably therapeutic as well, so that I can establish what kind of person I’ve become, due to traveling like a madwoman.

So I was born in Toronto, which is quite random I must say, since my entire family is full on French. My parents just happened to be living there when they had me, and this is how I got to start my life in a bi-lingual environment. I only spent the three first years of my life there, and needless to say, I don’t remember a god damn thing.

Then my dad got moved to Abu Dhabi, in the wonderful middle east, where they build 50 story skyscrapers in 3 days under the blazing sun. My parents placed my older sister and I in an American Academy, and although we spoke French at home, we were completely mesmerized by the expatriate American culture that surrounded us at school. Obviously the local culture was cool as well. We were learning Arabic and learning how to barter like there’s no tomorrow. Negotiating has been in my blood ever since.

After 5 years in the U.A.E, we moved to a country nearby, the Sultanate of Oman, a luxurious oasis, so glorious and beautiful it’s hard for me to describe. My dad is obsessed with boats and fishing massive baracoudas, so every weekend we’d hop on his boat and discover all sorts of empty islands. At that time, my most precious treasures were corals, different types of sands and shells of every shape and color.

The souk was also like entering Ali Baba’s carvern. This was a place where we could purchase the most ridiculous and unnecessary things. What I mainly remember from roaming around the souk was inhaling mad sorts of incense, and being blinded by the shine of silver, gold and random colorful objects.

Being in the middle east was such a treat, we were close to other growing cities like Dubai. I remember Dubai when it was still a somewhat modest fishing port and to see what it has become now is really unbelievable. It’s like witnessing the construction of NYC in less than a few decades.

After three years in the Sultan’s land, my dad was once again transferred because of his job….back to France, in suburban Paris. I had never lived there before and it was a total culture shock for me. Europe is great but I had to adapt my mentality to be able to communicate politely to Europeans.. Haha that was a challenge.

The French. What a people. They taught me a lot. I learned how to stay in my place, and other times I learned how to let loose. I learned how to write and think in a philosophical way and mostly I learned how to eat like a god.

I was incredibly fortunate because once again, my parents placed me in an international school, where I made best friends from all over the world. My closest friends are from Italy, Spain, Sweden, England, America and this is all because I grew up with them. We’re like a third culture community.

Thanks to that school I speak fluent Italian, Spanish, French and English. Which is tha bomb.

Living in Europe was so practical. every so often I would go to southern france (my family is from Perigueux which is close to Bordeaux) or spain (Alicante, Valencia, Barcelona..)

After high school, I went off to the American University of Rome, where I spent three years perfecting my Italian and learning all there is to know about early art history. I was amidst the most romantic ruins ever. And as cheesy as it sounds, they were my classroom. Rome is also a pretty international city, which made it feel like home. During my stay there, I was also able to travel: Genova, Naples, Venice, even Pompei!!!

Also during that time, I went to Russia, which was tremendous. Saint Petersburg and Moscow are incredible. The vodka was so tasty it was like downing water, the streets were like a live circus, I remember seeing hilarious tourist attractions around the Nieva river, namely full grown bears on leashes or free wandering iguanas, and, to top it off, monkeys wearing nike shoes.

I got to see the Kremlin, which owns the world’s biggest collection of gigantic diamonds. I also saw Lenin’s body, which was just weird.

During my last year in Rome, I felt so sick of studying old art. Studying renaissance and baroque was great but I was thirsty for fresher, more modern works. This is what lead me to apply to Hunter College. I had never lived in the united states before, so this was my chance. AND I DON’T REGRET A THING. NEW YORK IS NEW YORK and It is a fabulous city filled with trends and traditions I wanted to be submerged in, and I got it all baby. Living in Bushwick was definitely awakening and I enjoyed every bit of it no matter how many rats, bugs and killings I had to face. I miss the dodgy neighborhood, During my stay, I was able to visit Philly, Baltimore, Chicago, San Diego, L.A, and I can’t wait to finish off cruising the crazy continent properly.

After getting my degree, I felt a Masters would be most appropriate if I wanted to get a decent job in the art world, but in order to get into the masters program I needed to have a little working experience. Off I went to Berlin, to work in the Magnus Muller Gallery for four months, learning basic German and familiarizing myself with Berlin’s art market. It was a great experience but I have to say 4 months was not long enough for me to fall in love with that city.

Anyway here I am now, living a Londoner’s life. Sorted.

By next September, I’ll be well versed in Contemporary art and have sufficient expertise to enter the art market, or whatever other industry that awaits me. Curating would be ideal but apparently it’ll take me a few decades to obtain that job. KEEP THE FAITH!!!

I miss you my dear Ceasar, I hope this description will entertain you. COUNTING THE DAYS UNTIL YOU GET HERE!! Xoxoxoxox

P.S.

sweetheart i also forgot to mention the places i went to on vacation with my family. my parents live in Qatar, which is so cool cause i get to visit them like twice or three times a year!!!!! thanks to them, i got to see Dominican Republic, Portugal, and this August i'm off to Bali!!!)

looove youuuu

No comments:

Post a Comment